Monday, June 20, 2011

Getting Started: Things to have on hand.

I have always been in love with food.  It is never simply fuel, to me.  I need flavor and excitement, and I want to enjoy my food when I eat it.  One of the easiest ways to accomplish this goal, is to know what you are working with and to make the most of your available options.


That being said:  the more options you have available, the more opportunities you have to enjoy your food.


These are just a few of the items that I always keep stocked in my kitchen:


1 - Every herb and spice that I can get my hands on.


  This is the contents of my spice cabinet:
My poor roommate gave up LONG ago on keeping anything of hers in the cabinet (but, yes, she can use anything that she wants).  Half of a shelf full of the basics, turned into layers of stacked containers of everything I could find at the local Farmers Market and specialty stores in the area.  Some of my favorites: Garam Masala (for my curries), paprika, cinnamon, three varieties of curry powder, cumin seeds, tumeric and an Ethiopian Berbere blend.  And I CANNOT live without my McCormick Garlic Pepper Seasoning Grinder.  That thing is a Godsend.


   This is my collection of fresh herbs, which reside on the balcony of my apartment:
Here, we have Thyme (my all time favorite herb), Oregano, Cilantro (Coriander), Thai Basil, Purple Basil, Green Basil, Flat-leaf Parsley, Dill, Chives and Mint (Ginger Mint, actually).  I also have access to the large herb garden that has been incorporated into the vegetable garden that was once half of my dad's yard.  There, I can find all of the above, plus Sage, Rosemary, Tarragon, Lemongrass, Lovage and two other types of Parsley.  We take herbs seriously in this family.  Always have.


2 - Eggs.  I go through at least 4 dozen each week...if not 5 or 6.  I hope you love eggs if you are trying to Paleo-fy a vegetarian diet!!


3 - Quorn Grounds and Chik'n Tenders.  They aren't Paleo.  I repeat:  Quorn products are not Paleo.  But, compared to other meat alternatives that are filled with Soy and dairy and things you can't pronounce, these are the better option.  Quorn products are made from a nutritional fungus (I know...I hate mushrooms, too!  But, I like this stuff!) called mycoprotein.  It was developed in the UK, and made it's way to the US in 2002.


Visit their site here.  Do some research.  Decide for yourself.  If you can't live with this option, most of my recipes won't do you any good.  But, I find there are lines to be drawn, and battles that are best lost, in order to win the war.

4- Onions and Garlic, of all varieties.  I always have a few heads of garlic and at least 2 or 3 yellow or red onions in my pantry.

5 - Lemons and Limes.  I hate adding salt to anything, and you should too.  But, adding acid is, more times than not, a good alternative.

6 - Olive and Coconut Oil.  These are considered 'Good Fats.'  And, are great in moderation.

7 - A food processor and/or a good blender.  Can't live without mine.  Period.

This is the short list.  But, I use these the most often.  I'll share more as I go along.

That's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought? Questions? Concerns?