Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chimichurri. What is it? And, how do you use it?

I have been meaning to make this for you all for quite a while, and I just haven't been inspired to do so...until now.

This one is for you, Johnnie!  Because it's super fun and sassy, just like you.  ;-)

Anyone who frequents Trader Joe's as often as I do (when I have access to it) has probably come across the Chimichurri Rice, in the frozen section.  It's one of my all time favorite frozen items from TJ's, and the following recipe is my second favorite from Sarah Fragoso's 'Everyday Paleo.'

Although Paleo eaters can't eat the rice from TJ's, we can still enjoy the amazing flavor!  Chimichurri combines the tart acidity of lime, with fragrant cilantro, and everyone's best friend, onion.  It's super simple to make this sauce, and you can put it on any protein you like, to add extra excitement and flavor.  Or anything in general.  I just put it on some cucumber slices, and it blew me away. 

Stay tuned after the sauce recipe.  I am going to throw in my favorite way to use it at the end of this entry.


Chimichurri Sauce

You will need:



1/2 of a red onion (Just use the whole thing if it's small - like, the size of a lacrosse ball)

4 cloves of Garlic

1 cup fresh Parsley

1 1/2 cups fresh Cilantro

The juice of one lime

3/4 cup Olive Oil

Salt and Pepper to taste (Optional.  I never use it)

Wash your Parsley and Cilantro, and remove the leaves from the large stalks.  Quarter your onion, to make it easier on your food processor.  Juice your lime - and, please don't waste money on a citrus reamer.  Just use fork. 

Now, throw it all into your food processor, and pulse it five or six times, just until the red onion is in small enough pieces (a small diced size), but not until it's smooth.  A little chunkiness is good, for this one.


Et, voila!  Chimichurri sauce! 

Now, for my favorite way to use it!

This is a very simple dish, especially when you have the chimichurri already made.

You will need:

2 tbs Olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

1 Bell Pepper, sliced

1 package of Quorn Chik'n Tenders

1 head of Boston Bibb Lettuce (or you favorite wrapping greens), washed and dried

Chimichurri Sauce

Start out with a medium to large skillet, and heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Toss in the chopped onion, and bell pepper, and sautee for 5-10 minutes, until the onion starts to become translucent.  Add half of a package of Quorn Chik'n Tenders (or enough to give the ratio of veg to protein that you like), and continue to sautee for 7-10 minutes, until the tenders are fully cooked.

Pile the chik'n mixture onto your lettuce leaves, and top with a couple spoonfuls of chimichurri sauce.  Done!



I also like to use the Chimichurri on my taco wraps, as well. 

And, for my non-paleo and Vegan followers, I have a feeling this would work great with Tempeh, or any of your favorite proteins that could use a boost!

Enjoy!

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thought? Questions? Concerns?